Sunday, August 23, 2009

Part 5

'If I had a million dollars... if I had a million dollars... well I'd buy you a monkey..." I sing loudly from the passanger seat of Jordan's SUV. He is 17 and already has his own SUV... shit that's lucky.
We are driving through downtown Pittsburgh through the slow traffic. Every light we stop at is fun though; girls looking up at us and batting their lashes. I feel smug; I'm 15 and would have no idea what to actually do with a girl, but they're looking... that's all that matters.
I smile over at Jordan who has his eyes on the road, he's not noticing the girls in the convertable next to his window; staring at him.

"Dude... those chicks are watching you." I say, leaning over to get a better view.

"Probably." He says as he sighs. My brothers are crazy, I'd give anything to get this kind of attention back home, and here they are... wasting it.

We pull into the parkinglot, and head towards the elevator. "So what are we doing tonight?" I ask as the door closes and the elevator lurches up.

"Nothing. I have a game tomorrow. Remember? That's why you're here... to watch my games."

"Yah, and hang out! We should go to a BAR!" I shout at the idea, doing a little jig beside Jordan, who shakes his head and looks away rolling his eyes.

"You're like 8, you can't get into a bar."

"Woah, almost 16 and I know I can't... but YOU can get me in." I say slyly, nudging Jordan in the ribs as the elevator door opens.

"I'm not taking my 15 year old brother to a bar Jared." I sigh and following him down the hall towards his place.
He lives with Max Talbot... which is awesome.

"Hey Max!" I yell as I shuffle through the door after Jordan.

"Hey bud... ready to party hard this week? We should go to Diesel tonight..."

"Sure!"

"No," Jordan groans, glaring at Max. "No bar, no 'party-hard', just hockey and here. Go play some video games or something." He adds as he heads into the kitchen. I go into the living room and flop down beside Max on the couch; who happens to be the coolest person I've ever met.

My phone vibrates in my pocket and I pull it out; mom's calling. I answer it, "Hey mom! I was gonna call you I swear we just got in-"

She cuts me off. "Jared dear it's Alice, I'm heading to New York to get her."

"Why, what's going on?" My change of tone catches Max's attention and he looks at me concerned.

"It's that boy... the one she's with. He got physical with her. I was just on the phone with the doctor, she had to get a few stitches and her jaw's being wired shut. I just wanted you to know where I am. I'll give you a call when I know more about what's going on."

"Alright mom, I love you. Tell Alice I say... hi... I guess." I scrunch up my face nervously, what do you say to someone that just got beat up by their boyfriend.

"I will dear. I love you, tell Jordan I'll phone him later." I hang up and look over at Max. "Alice, this girl from home-"

"The one you use to live with?" He finishes for me. I nod, of course Jordan would have mentioned her. They were always gross lovey-dovey eyes... ew.

"She's dating some jerk-off, he broke her jaw... mom's going to pick her up in New York." He nods and looks over the couch behind him. Jordan walks into the room.

"Ummm... Jordan... Mom called."

"That was fast." He chuckles, "we just got here." I don't respond and he walks over to me. Max looks nervous. "Is everything ok?" He asks slowly.

"Alice..." I start to say, not sure of how to continue.

He jumps down in front of me and grabs my arms pulls me towards him. "She what... Alice what?!" He starts to shake me, Max grabs him and breaks his hold.

"Calm down man." He says pull Jordan to his feet.

"He broke her jaw I think... it's being wired shut. Mom's going to get her."

He bites his bottom lip and crosses his arms over his chest. He turns his back to me and starts pacing around the room.

"Jordan?" Max asks after a minute, Jordan shakes his head but doesn't turn around. I know he's crying.

"What hospital?" He says, his voice thick with pain.

"I don't know... I didn't ask... sorry." He shakes his head again and turns around.

He walks over to the couch and flops down. "I don't know what to do." He says after a minute. Max sits down next to him. "Do I go there? Do I kill him? ... leave her alone. What?" He looks at Max but Max just shakes his head and shrugs.

We all sit on the couch for a while, in silence. Every now and then I look at Jordan, tears are leaking from his eyes but he doesn't care enough to whipe him away.

I think about Alice and how she doesn't deserve this. I don't know what to do to make this better, so I make a vow; when I get a girlfriend I will never hurt her... not ever.


"Jared!" Gemma yells from somewhere in her house. I could just yell back but I've been looking for an excuse to go see her anyway. She's busy doing some online shopping and told me to leave her alone. We haven't spent alot of alone time together lately so, NHL2009 can wait a bit.
I get up and cross the den, joggin up the stairs towards her room. I push open the door and she's sitting cross-legged on her computer chair. "What are we doing on the 21st to the 7th?"

"Huh? Umm... is this a trick question?" She smiles and shakes her head.
"... is there something you want to do?" She nodds and crosses the floor towards me, going up on her tip toes to wrap her arms around my neck.

"Wouldn't it be fun, to just get away for a couple weeks?" She pulls my face down towards her and starts to plant tiny kisses along my jaw. I nod trying to remember what she's talking about. "Cause... some of the girls saw this cruise line... it's a 2 week cruise of the Carribeans; only 3600$ each..."

I sigh knowing what she wants. "Who wants to go?"

She giggles, knowing that she's already won. "Ummm just some of the girls and us... so like... mayyyyybe 8 people total?"

I nod she gives me a quick kiss before she dashes back to the computer. I turn and walk out the room, pulling my cellphone out of my pocket.

"Hey Jordan! I need some..." I begin.

"How much?" He asks, not bothering to let me finish.

"Uhh..." I stop walking, trying to do math in my head, "Like... 30 grand?"

"Are you shitting me?"

"No..."

"I'll give you half... you talk to the other guys and figure something out."

"Ah sweet... thanks man."

"Should I be concerned about what you need this for?"

"Nope."

"Good n'uff."

I hang up and dial Eric's number. 'What do you want now?"

"Umm... 15 grand?"

"15? Are in deep with fucking bookies or something?"

"No, Gemma wants to go on a cruise." I hear him let out a sigh.

"How did you end up with her? You're not even in the fucking NHL yet for christ sakes."

"What are you talking about?"

"She's a gold-digger dating a guy from the OHL... it doesn't even make sense."

"She is not!"

"Yah... I bet... alright fine, 15 grand whatever..." I thank him and hang up, walking back to my room.

"Yah that's cool babe, you can book it." She squeals and jumps out of the chair again, jumping towards me with a grin on her face. We start to make out, falling back on her bed.
I pull back after a couple minutes, concious of her brother a few rooms over. "Guess this means you won't be going back to school for sure... are you sure you're positive about that?"

She nods at me. "Why would I need to go to school babe. You're going to play in the NHL and make lots of money to look after me. It's a waste of time if I go to college... besides, this way I can stay home with you." She pulls me down again and we resume our kiss, as I smile into it.

Everyone might keep saying bad things about her, but she had enough faith in me to drop out of college. That means something, doesn't it?

5 comments:

  1. Oh Jared, you dolt! I hope his bros knock some sense into him soon. That flashback made me so sad, seeing Jordan so helpless. Poor guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jared! Your brothers need to smack you silly!

    Poor Jordan. He should go and kill that asshole! Hey, if she's in New York, why isn't Marc watching out for her?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Idiot!! Come on, Jared! Okay.. sorry, had to get that out of my system. lol

    I'm glad you updated this one. It's one of my favorites as well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "You're like 8, you can't get into a bar."

    Haha. I love this line! And oh Jared. I really wish he would open his eyes and see that Gemma is a gold-digger! I hope his brothers talk some sense into him.

    Anyway, love this udpate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. jared! you silly goose you are marrying me so its time to tell this gemma to back off :P haha'

    love the story! i just found it today and LOVE IT!

    keep updating!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete